Camp Prep #1: Transportation
Welcome to the WimberLead, the #1 news outlet in Central Texas and your primary source of information to prepare for camp. Your premium subscription grants you access to all you need to make 2022 the best summer of your child’s life. Each week, you’ll receive an email about a certain aspect of the summer experience, written by a member of our Jewlitzer Prize-winning team.
During the Passover Seder, we recount the exodus from Egypt and our 40 year journey through the desert. Unless you like long, hot walks, what could be more important than reliable transportation?
And with that, we begin Chapter 1…
Getting to Camp – Camper Drop Off
- On Opening Day each session, we get hundreds of campers checked in, checked for lice and temperature, settled in bunks, and introduced to their counselors and bunkmates in just a few hours time. For Summer 2022, we will also be administering COVID-19 rapid tests upon arrival and will require a negative test result.
- ALL CAMPERS MUST BE DROPPED OFF BY CAR AT THE START OF EACH SESSION FOR SUMMER 2022. The adult who brings each camper to camp is responsible for them until they pass our health screening and are cleared to enter their bunk.
- We will be staggering drop off throughout the day from 9 am-12 pm. You will receive an email to pick an arrival time slot one month prior to the start of your camper’s session.
- Campers Flying to Camp: We are not able to offer a bus or any airport pickup this year. We expect a responsible adult to drop campers off at camp. A parent does not need to be the person dropping the camper off, but please be aware that that adult is responsible for the camper until they pass our health screening.
- If a journey is half the fun (desert exodus aside), it’s fair to say that the camp experience actually continues on the bus. On closing day, we will send every child home on a bus*. Buses will drop off in Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and the Austin airport for those campers flying home. Bus transportation will be included at no extra cost to you.
- *With the exception of our Nitzanim A (10-day) and Mini Mensch (3-day) campers who will be picked up when their program ends mid-session. Nitzanim B campers will ride the bus home.
- Here are the bus times for closing day (Session One: July 5th, 2022, Session Two: August 2nd, 2022):
- To Houston - arriving at 12:30pm to Congregation Beth Israel
- To Dallas - arriving at 1pm to Preston & Frankford (NE Corner)
- To San Antonio - arriving at 11am to Barshop Jewish Community Center
- To Austin - arriving at 10:30am to Jewish Community Center of Austin
- Those campers flying home should schedule flights from Austin Bergstrom International Airport between 12:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Please DO NOT book a flight outside of these times without approval from the Camp office. Click here to read more about traveling home from camp by plane.
Other important travel notes
- Please make sure that you complete your transportation form. You can update it up to a week prior to the start of the session, if anything changes. You can find your transportation form along with the rest of the forms in your CampInTouch account.
- CYJ will communicate all travel delays or changes to families via Campanion, phone call, email, and/or text messaging system
For campers who cry on Closing Day, we will provide unlimited toilet paper (provided they register for Summer 2023).
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask: firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-723-8354. You can also search our Knowledge Base to learn more about not only transportation, but everything else you need to know to get ready for camp.
Next up in Camp Prep series: Food!